Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pocket Reviews: For the First Time

Ah… yes… I have rarely been in a movie that lulls me to sleep. And For the First Time does exactly that. When Richard Gutierez and KC Concepcion exchanged googly eyes for the 12th time within the 15 minutes of the film (what, you didn’t count?), I was busy looking at my watch, yawning and looking furtively at the emergency exit (not necessarily in that order).

The plot about a rich rake who fell for and was changed by the woman he loves is tired, formulaic. Gutierrez was still channeling a Bench commercial, apparently forgetting he was supposed to act, not pose.

And Concepcion – wow the waterworks. She overacts and underacts at all the wrong times, proving that she learned her chops from the Gabby Concepcion School of Hammy Acting. I got nothing from the experience but the risk of being cross-eyed (from all those close-ups) and a blood-sugar level to match a dying diabetic.  

No comments: